Hurricanes are large and violent storms. They are the tropical storm that occurs from the Atlantic or Eastern Pacific Ocean. They form near the equator from warm ocean waters. The water vapor becomes the fuel and releases the ‘latent heat of condensation’. It then condenses to form clouds and rain, and warms the surrounding air. As a result, the wind spiral around and around the storm. And pushes the water in the mound of the storm.
Prepare yourself before a Hurricane-
- Assemble an emergency preparedness.
- Create a household evacuation plan.
- Store water in large containers and try to avoid unnecessary uses.
- Stay aware of your community’s risk and plan through television, radio and online news.
- Protect your family by educating them about the hurricane.
Things you should include in Emergency Preparedness-
- Water: one gallon per person per day.
- Food that is easy to prepare or ready to cook.
- Flashlights, torch and electric lamps with extra batteries.
- First aid kit and other medications as per required.
- In case, if any of the family members are suffering from a severe medical condition then store the required medication in advance.
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items.
- Emergency area Map(s).
- Always keep your cell phone charged, do not waste the battery by watching videos or spending time on social media.
- Copies of personal documents and some extra cash.
Additional supplies to keep in your survival kit-
- Whistle, in case you need to call for an emergency help.
- Rain gears, plastic sheeting, and surgical masks to protect you from various infections.
- Extra blankets or sleeping bags.
- And some games to engage your family, especially children.
Things you need to keep in mind during a hurricane-
- Stay indoors.
- Avoid walking on beaches and riverbanks.
- Try to avoid walking in flood waters, it may be contaminated with sewage water or contain dangerous insects.
- If you get stuck in the flooded road, immediately abandon your car and move to higher ground.
Hence, hurricanes are strong storms. They are life-threatening and if not prepared well before, may cause you a lot of damages. Plan a safe evacuation and keep all the emergency things, including medical supplies ready.
Written by: S. Ray