“The wish for healing has always been half of health” -Lucius Anneus Seneca
The other half involves efforts to heal oneself.
Calcium is one of the most important minerals required by our body and a vital element for the normal functioning of numerous processes. A dairy free lifestyle can prove to be healthy, but it also gets extremely important to be aware of the non-dairy sources of calcium for healthy bones, teeth and blood. Dairy free sources of calcium are also crucial for those who are allergic to milk and milk products. The recommended daily Calcium intake for a healthy adult is about 1 gram per day.
Here Are 8 Foods That Are Rich In Calcium
1. Almonds : An ounce of almond makes a great source of Calcium. The healthful nuts are rich sources of Calcium, Proteins and also make a great snack.
2. Sesame : The tiny seeds are a rich source of both Calcium and Iron. They are also loaded with fiber as well.
3. Kale : Super green leaves of kale are high on Antioxidants and Calcium.
4. Black-eyed Peas : Rich in Folate, Calcium and Potassium, they make a great source of nutrients and are full of proteins.
5. Soy Milk : A healthy alternative to milk, Soy milk is a good source of Proteins and Calcium for those not able to digest milk or avoiding it for other dietary reasons.
6. Oranges : The juicy citrus fruit is high on vitamin C and Calcium.
7. Figs : Figs, both fresh and dry are a great source of Iron and Calcium.
8. Broccoli : Steam up some broccoli or grill it for your healthy dose of Antioxidants and Calcium.
If you are looking for some advice on your diet and lifestyle, our Online Dietitian/Nutritionist are just a click away.
Written by: Dr. Motwani